Vegan Kimchi Fried Rice with Live Sprouts and Shredded Cabbage (optional fried egg)
Quick and easy, vegetarian comfort food bursting with flavour!
110g short grain rice, rinsed
2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
1/2 onion, diced
100g Food85 organic Napa cabbage kimchi
1 tbsp Gochujyan chilli paste (sold in mot oriental supermarkets)
Handful live sprouts (here I used a selection from Wholefoods)
Red or green cabbage, shredded
Fried egg (optional)
1. Cook rice according to packaging (I know that sounds off-hand but it really depends on the particular variety of rice).
Quantity stated above is for the absorption method, my preferred technique. Add water and Rie to pot, cover with lid and bring to boil. Once boiling, reduce heat to lowest setting and leave to steam. When all the water is absorbed, stir and leave to cool taking lid off.
2. In a wok on high heat, add sesame oil and cook onion for 2 mins.
3. Add kimchi and chillies paste, giving it a good stir.
4. Add cooled rice and stir fry for 4 minutes until even in color and ingredients distributed.
5. Serve in bowl topped with live sprouts and cabbage (+ fried egg).